Friday, February 25, 2005

Nothing meaningful...

I've already mentioned my theory on blambles (a word I'm still hoping to see take off), but those depend on having an actual topic to start with.

So, now I am in a situation that doesn't have a word - I have no idea where to start. I just feel like I should say something.

Despite an utter lack of topic, and realizations, um, realized in former posts, I still feel I need to come up with something profound.

The thing is, there's no shortage of topics to discuss. In fact, there's so much information out there, that I often feel inclined to curl up in a ball and revert to a child-like state.

Then again, attempts to revert to my childhood have often reslted in disappointment. Scooby-Doo just doesn't have the same oomph that it did when I was six. And Knight Rider is laughable.

That's part of why I'm afraid to watch reruns of another childhood favorite, the Dukes of Hazzard. CMT just announced a "job opening" where you will be paid $100K to watch Dukes reruns and write a daily blog for a year. Plus, you get to travel to events.

Dukes VP

Now, I don't mind blogging(duh), I don't mind watching TV, and I don't mind travel. But am I willing to risk my untarnished memories of good old boys and their hot cousin? I tried it with Knight Rider, Scooby, and various other embarassing-to-admit shows, mostly to glum results. Few TV shows remain untarnished. I'm not sure I'm ready to do that to one of my favorites.

The TV shows of my childhood may have lost their lustre (the -re makes it fancy), but the movies and music from those years are even better now than they were then. I've debated why this is and have it down to three possibilities:

1) At 6, I could choose my own TV shows, but typically watched the movies and listened to the music my parents were consuming. In the case of music, this meant I didn't hear much 80s music as a kid, so I have no unrealistic expectations. In the case of the films, I was usually watching adult movies anyway. (The one movie I remember dragging my parents to, and really wanting to see, no longer appeals to me as much - though many people still find E.T. a great movie, I just can't bear it.)

2) The movies made when I was a kid, I didn't begin watching until I was a teen, and therefore made choices more in tune with the person I would become. So, while at 6 I might have hated Breakfast club, at 16 I identified and loved it and kept that love until adulthood

or

3)The music and movies that I can get today are ones that have survived and are therefore inherently better than other things that came out during that time. Though, if Footloose was a cultural high point of the time, then maybe we should forget the 80s altogether.


Regardless of the reasoning, I still like most of that 80s crap. In fact, my well of movie quotes seems to be filled with a disproportionate amount of 80s quotes (particualrly from the Princess Bride).

I guess what I'm trying to explain is that sometimes the past doesn't hold up when looked at from the present, but other times there's a reason you miss it. I don't know how much meaning this has in life outside pop culture, but, well, I didn't even have a topic 5 minutes ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home