Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Say what?

A few posts back I tried to create a new word. While Blamble hasn't taken off yet, I still have hope.

My hope springs (not eternal, but for a little while longer) from everyday conversation. I have developed the habit of stopping every once in a while to examine the words I use everyday. I like to compare them with my mental database of words my parents wouldn't have recognized when I was born(such as, possibly, database) or whose meanings have changed so dramatically as to make their use totally foreign to those people of the past.

Examples:

blog, e-mail, internet, world wide web, dot com, Al Qaeda, hard drive, (basically any computer term); console gaming, air bags, Ground Zero, September 11th, PDA, CD, DVD, video tape...

The list is long. You can throw in just about any brand name and most technology and a lot of acronyms.

I'm going to keep today's post short, don't want to blamble too much, but I challenge you reader(s) to examine your language. Would your parents have understood you when they were your age? I'm not refering to slang (no -izzles in the list), or limiting it to technology words (though there's a whole post in the changes in technology), but words in general.

Just something to think about. And a basis of hope for the new words (*cough*blamble*cough*) to come.

English (like Frodo) lives.

1 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

Hi Phil,

I have been promoting the use of your word "blamble" in my blog. (Random Thoughts #3) And I have even used two words derived from that word: blambler, and blambling.

Just thought you should know.

3/24/2005 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home