Tuesday, May 17, 2005

A month of nothing

It has been nearly a month since I last posted. If anyone actually read this, some might wonder where I've been, why I haven't posted.

Here's the problem: I have started this blog to find out who I am. Not what I've been doing, but what I've been thinking. I place a much higher value on thoughts that actions, simply because the actions are precipitated by thoughts, but thoughts do not always result when one takes action. I realize that doesn't makes much sense, but I'm not feeling sensical.

If you read back through this, you won't see much about my daily life. Partially, this is because I don't have one. Mostly, it's because I don't care what I do each day. Things happen, just like in everyone else's life. It's the potentially profound thoughts I like to focus on and work out.

really that's what this is for, a chance to try out my ideas. Rather than just writing them down and reworking them, I've put them here so anyone can comment on them and, perhaps, help me refine them further.

All that being said, I haven't had time to wonder who I am lately, too busy.

And in all likeliehood, that's not going to change much in the immediate future.

So, I apologize. I hope if you stumble across this you'll stop back again to see what I've said and comment on it (ridicule, controversy, praise, I don't care what you say.)

And until I write again, I hope you're well. I hope I'm well. And I really, really hope there not out of salads down at the deli.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

Actually, not all actions are precipitated by thoughts. Most of the problems in my life come from the times I took action where I didn't take the moment to think about what I was about to do, or who I was about to do for that matter.

A perfect example of someone who takes action without thinking is President George Bush. Then again, maybe he does give a lot of thought about what he does, but it doesn't sound that way when he speaks.

What I find interesting in people is the thought behind their thoughts, the sponsporing thought. But one can get caught up in the spiral of seeking the thought behind the thought behind the thought, and then the thought behind the thought behind the thought behind the thought, and so on. Do you think if you go back far enough you'll end up with 42?

5/18/2005 4:26 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I would argue that nearly all actions are preceded by a thought. (The exception being reflexes). The thought may not always be concious, but it's there.

For example-

simple action: removing hand from flame

sub-concious thought: that is hot, it will cause me sever pain and possibly lasting damage if I don't move my hand

concious thought (if any): ow! sh#@!


I am also operating under the belief that even instinct is a form of thought. A deeply sub-concious thought (buried somewhere just before the question to 42), but a form of thought nonetheless.

Though I do share your interest in the thought behind the thought. I think youve said what I was looking for better than I could. Because, the surface thought (i.e. I like shiraz) tells me nothing, while the next step down (i.e. I had an incredibly romantic evening where shiraz played an intergal part and therefore will always have a soft spot for shiraz) tells more. And a step further (i.e. memories are all that I can call my own, so I am prone to make connections between places and things in my present and a situation involving those same places or things in my past) gets closer to who I am. It fleshes me out a little and helps make me real.

As for Bush, I have this bad feeling that he actually believes he's doing the right thing. Not that excuses his actions! I remember a young Jedi by the name of Anakin Skywalker who thought he was doing the right thing. And we all know how evil he was. Sith, afterall, happens.

5/18/2005 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home