Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Tradition

This past Saturday Ohio State University (technically, The Ohio State University) beat Michigan in the annual meeting thought by many to be the greatest rivalry in sports.

I am not a huge sports fan, but even I watch the yearly contest between my beloved Buckeyes and the team up north. Why? Tradition.

Later that evening, my wife and I served up a full Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings for our friends. I typically draw short straw and work on Thanksgiving Day, so I enjoy the chance to get a holiday meal and spend time with people we care about. This, over the past three years, has also become a tradition.

There's a strange comfort in certain traditions. They're practices that bring you closer to others, make you feel a part of something.

It's almost the Holiday time for normal people - retail people have been doing the Holiday thing for several months now. A time full of traditions old and new. And a time to feel close to others. Goodwill to man and all that.

For some, the traditions are a way to celebrate history. For others, they merely provide a means to remain sane through this season. Of course, sometimes they're just an excuse to do something you secretly enjoy but find immensely embarassing (Why do you wear that Reindeer jacket every December 17? Answer given: Oh, it's this silly tradition my father started. Real Answer: I like swinging the antlers about. it's fun.)

Perhaps I should start a new tradition, posts that actually have a point.

2 Comments:

Blogger Spider said...

Starting a tradition of posts that have a point? Geez, why start now!?!

11/23/2005 9:35 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

You're right. Isn't the whole point of Blogs to be pointless?

11/23/2005 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home