Thursday, December 01, 2005

Internet killed the holiday star

It seems like Christmas feels less like Christmas every year. At first, I thought it was just because of the whole getting old thing, but then I heard older people complaining how it just doesn't feel as Christmassy. (Is that a word?)

I'm sure I could go the Spider route and do all sorts of research and find philosophers and motivationalists to quote on the search for Christmas spirit. Instead, I prefer to blame the Internet.

The sad fact is, a large part of the American Christmas is the gift-giving. Gift-giving may be materialistic, evil, etc. But it is definitely a cheap thrill to see that look when someone gets the perfect gift and know that you are responsible for that look. I used to participate in the yearly trek to a local retail haven for Christmas shopping.

Now, thanks to the internet, I am able to avoid the crowds and buy everything online. It's easier, cheaper, and - according to all the recent news reports - everyone's doing it.

The only thing missing from the equation is that mixture of rage and good cheer that result from an afternoon in a crowded mall decked with gaudy decorations and cheery holiday tunes. And that little something may just be what makes it feel like Christmas. Sometimes I miss it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home